How can I make toilet training a positive experience for my 2-year-old?

Dr. Mark Diamond
In brief: Relax
In normal kids, everyone eventually is potty trained.
This is a normal milestone of development.Thus it will always happen. Do not pressure your child. The average little girl trains at 26 mos/age and the little boy trains at 32 mos.Train by example until the child is ready.

In brief: Relax
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Pediatrics - Developmental & Behavioral
In brief: A toddler who walks
from room to room, pulls his/her pants & pull-up or diapers up & down, is dry for 2 hrs & says "potty" when he/she senses the urge to "go" is ready for daytime toilet training.
If not, you may create a behavior problem. Put a potty chair in the bathroom for the child to sit on while you model using the toilet, but don't force the child to sit on it.A Little Looster stool helps with toilet-sitting.

In brief: A toddler who walks
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Johanna Fricke
2 comments
Dr. D. Finman
I recommend Azrin and Foxx's method- Potty training in less than a day http://books.google.com/books?id=7phdNExc3BEC&printsec=frontcover&dq=potty+training+made+easy&hl=en&sa=X&ei=CQqhU4TyDKfUsASty4GICg&ved=0CFIQ6AEwBg#v=onepage&q&f=false
Dr. Johanna Fricke
We ised that in the 60's and early 70's. I thought it was out of print!
Dr. Jeanne Beymer
In brief: Praise.
Buy a potty chair and leave it in a room in which your child usually plays.
It is important not to put too many demands on the child or shame the child about toilet training. When your child does use the toilet, let him know how proud you are.

In brief: Praise.
Dr. Jeanne Beymer
Dr. Jeanne Beymer
Dr. Jonathan Jassey