How do I protect my 12-month-old from choking and suffocation?

Dr. Jeanne Beymer

In brief: Keep out of reach

Avoid foods on which a child might choke easily (candy, hot dogs, popcorn, peanuts).
Cut food into small pieces, about half the width of a pencil. Store toys in a chest without a dropping lid.

In brief: Keep out of reach

Dr. Jeanne Beymer
Dr. Jeanne Beymer

In brief: Small bites

If normal activity and eating, small bites and careful observation the airway has some self protection and while sitting up is better generally after one can.
Read the aha material on choking and know what to do if it happens to anyone- adult or child- it is life saving.

In brief: Small bites

Dr. Creighton Wright
Dr. Creighton Wright
Dr. Shontae Buffington