What can I give my 6-month-old for a fever after vaccines?

Dr. Marcus Degraw

In brief: Motrin or Tylenol (acetaminophen)

You can use either Motrin or tylenol (acetaminophen) for fever, irritability or pain after 6 months for shot related issues.
Motrin can only be used after 6 months of age and tylenol (acetaminophen) at any age.

Dr. Marcus Degraw
Dr. Marcus Degraw
Dr. Mark Patterson
Tylenol can be given at any age OVER 2 months. It is recommended that babies under 2 months not be given a medication to reduce fever.
Dr. Jeanne Beymer

In brief: Acetaminophen.

You may give Acetaminophen drops in the appropriate dose to prevent fever and irritability.
For swelling or soreness, put a wet, warm washcloth on the area of the shots as often and as long as needed to provide comfort. Call your child's healthcare provider if your child has a rash or any reaction to the shots other than fever and mild irritability, or if your child has a fever that lasts more than 36 hours.

In brief: Acetaminophen.

Dr. Jeanne Beymer
Dr. Jeanne Beymer