Can someone have liver failure if they have jaundice, even with completely normal cmp?

Dr. Joseph Sucher
Surgery - Trauma

Bilirubin is kept low by the liver. I assume cmp refers to a "complete metabolic profile", which is different depending on the lab company performing the test.
This may only include electrolytes and not other enzymes more specific to the liver. Chronic liver failure may show many normal values, but bilirubin still will be elevated. There are other causes of jaundice that are not liver failure.

Dr. Joseph Sucher
Dr. Joseph Sucher
Dr. Tony Ho
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: Not possible

The cmp has bilirubin, which is elevated in jaundice (and causes jaundice).
If the cmp is completely normal, it is not jaundice; it may be some other skin discoloration, perhaps from excess beta carotene intake.

In brief: Not possible

Dr. Tony Ho
Dr. Tony Ho