What kinds of movements will my 2-week-old make?

In brief: Limited control

At 2 weeks a baby has control of it's facial muscles & jaw, can lift his/her head & turn side to side.
The rest of babies movements are rather random. The brain sends out random messages to move the body parts through their natural range. This helps preserve muscle size & tone until the baby develops muscle control.There are also random reflexes that set off patterns of movement.

In brief: Limited control

2 comments
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Flexion & extension of arms & legs are symmetrical & baby moves head side to side.. Encourage prone position for play.
Dr. Johanna Fricke
By symmetrical, I mean baby is showing same degree of active movement on both sides,, not that they have to move in unison always.
Dr. Jeanne Beymer

In brief: Smoother.

Movements gradually become smoother and more controlled.
Lifts chin for a few seconds when lying on tummy. Cannot support head without assistance. Grasps whatever is placed in hand.

In brief: Smoother.

Dr. Jeanne Beymer
Dr. Jeanne Beymer
Dr. Shontae Buffington