How long do I need to wear braces for a bilateral cross bite on my top teeth?

Dr. David May
Dentistry
In brief: 12 to 18 months
Probably 12 to 18 months depending on the severity.

In brief: 12 to 18 months
Dr. David May
Dr. David May
Dr. David Schleimer
Dr. May, how can you seriously give a timeline without an exam? You may be right of course, but in a non-growing patient without seeing them you can tell? No disrespect meant at all.
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dentistry - Orthodontics
In brief: Dental or skeletal?
Braces fix dental crossbite.
Skeletal crossbite correction in adults often requires surgery coupled with expansion appliance. Time to rx depends on the nature of your problem. Go see a qualified orthodontist for an initial diagnostic examination and discussion of your treatment opinions.

In brief: Dental or skeletal?
Braces fix dental crossbite.
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Ron E. Bell
Treatment also depends if you want it for cosmetic , function , or pain.
Dr. S. Jay Bowman
Dentistry - Orthodontics
In brief: Perhaps tough
Bilateral skeletal crossbites in adults may require what is called a surgically-assisted rapid palatal expander.
Expansion of the upper jaw for an adult needs special treatment. An opinion with an orthodontic specialist will let you know what is required and time involved.

In brief: Perhaps tough
Dr. S. Jay Bowman
Dr. S. Jay Bowman
Dr. BEHRAM DALAL
Dentistry
In brief: It all depends
On the severity and extent.
Best answered by the treating orthodontist. Teeth cannot be rapidly moved as that can have other negative effects dentally.

In brief: It all depends
On the severity and extent.
Dr. BEHRAM DALAL
Dr. BEHRAM DALAL
Dr. Alex Shvartsman
Dentistry - Cosmetic
In brief: It depends
It varies based on the situation.
Impossible to say without a thorough exam.

In brief: It depends
It varies based on the situation.
Dr. Alex Shvartsman
Dr. Alex Shvartsman
Dr. David Schleimer
Dentistry - Orthodontics
In brief: Unknown
As you are not growing, your crossbite correction will either be dental expansion (only if mild:mild) otherwise surgery is indicated.
By the way you say top teeth, by definition, a crossbite is the relation of upper to lower teeth and both will be involved. Advising time on the net is useless. I hope your case is mild and best of luck!

In brief: Unknown
Dr. David Schleimer
Dr. David Schleimer
Dr. Brian Dorfman
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial
In brief: Depends
Widening the palate can take several months especially at age 36.
It may not even be possible without surgery. Orthognathic surgery or rapid palatal expansion may be required.

In brief: Depends
Dr. Brian Dorfman
Dr. Brian Dorfman
Dr. David Schleimer
I am glad you qualified your statement to include the possibility of surgical intervention; as it is well known that after cessation of growth no sutural expansion will occur, it will all be dental movement. No matter what the claims made by some individuals, expansion of the maxillary dentition will not stimulate buccal bone growth.
Dr. Steven Seres