What else can be done if a root canal treatment is ineffective?

In brief: Root canal

Sometimes a retrograde filling or apicoectomy can be done to save the tooth.
It is when the end of the root is removed the infected bone and tissue is cleaned and a filling is placed from the tip of the root. It depends on how bad the infection is or if there is a good chance of success, ask your dentist to examine you

In brief: Root canal

Dr. Abraham Jaskiel
Dr. Abraham Jaskiel
Dr. Mark Carl
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: Depends

It depends on why is was not effective.
Some times surgery to remove the root tips can be done to correct a problem. Some times in molars extra canals may be missed and the root canal can be redone. Poor seeling of the root can cause failure and the root canl can also be redone. If there is a root fracture causing failure the tooth will need removal in a majority of the cases.

In brief: Depends

It depends on why is was not effective.
Dr. Mark Carl
Dr. Mark Carl

In brief: Risk vs reward

While some point out that implants have a higher success rate than root canals, in my opinion if a root canal is possible, it should be the treatment of choice as the cost savings do in my mind justify the small added risk of failure.
In the case of a failed root canal, the risk of continued failure after re-treatment & the added cost tilts the balance in favor of extraction and an implant.

In brief: Risk vs reward

Dr. Hetesh Ranchod -- Dr. Ranch
Dr. Hetesh Ranchod -- Dr. Ranch
Dr. John Thaler
Dentistry - Prosthodontics

In brief: Extraction

If the root canal treatment is not working, then sometimes a retreatment is done.
See the endodontist (specialist in rc tx) and have it checked with the microscope. Often there are missed canals, extra canals that require tx. If this does not work, then the tooth is likely cracked / split and must be extracted. Implant is best replacement.

In brief: Extraction

Dr. John Thaler
Dr. John Thaler