What causes puffy eyelids?

Many factors. I am assuming you mean lower eyelid puffiness? There are many factors to contribute to this- lack of sleep, high salt diet, allergies, and most commonly hereditary anatomy. It is usually the lower eyelid muscle and soft tissue layer loosening over time, allowing the fatty tissue behind it to bulge outward. Surgery can help reduce that, but it will not affect the other factors i mentioned.
Many reasons. There are many reasons for having puffy eyes: heredity, allergies, too much salt, eye disease, systemic diseases; these are a few.
Many causes. Eyelid swelling can be caused by many things. See an ophthalmologist for evaluation if you want this to better.