Should I take my inhalor before I go in to see the doctor for a check up?

Dr. Brian Bezack
Pediatrics - Pulmonology
In brief: Depends
If you are not in any respiratory distress you should try to avoid using a rescue inhaler such as albuterol at least 4 hours prior to the visit so the doctor can hear what your lungs sound like.

In brief: Depends
Dr. Brian Bezack
Dr. Brian Bezack
Dr. Luke Hermann
Emergency Medicine
If you feel the need to use your inhaler because you feel short of breath then by all means use it.
If however, your symptoms are not so severe that you would normally use the inhaler (if you weren't going to the doctor) then don't. Your doctor would rather have an accurate sense of your baseline than assume that your asthma is better controlled than it is because you treated prior to the visit.

Dr. Luke Hermann
Dr. Luke Hermann
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology