My 12-week-old fights naps and barely sleeps 10 hours a day. When I put him down he screams. Help!?

Dr. Marcus Degraw

In brief: Still adapting

Some would call the first 3 months a 'fourth trimester' for babies, still trying to adapt to outside of mama.
They feel best when feeling like inside your belly. So held or wrapped feels best and put down feela worst. For now continue to work baby to sleep as best you can. Average is 12-15 hours but for some its 10-11 hours. I favor the 'cry it out routine' but only well after 4 months.

In brief: Still adapting

Dr. Marcus Degraw
Dr. Marcus Degraw
Dr. Marcus Degraw
No problem. Harder transition for some babies. Usually just a little more time and things get ok.

In brief: Find a good routine

For a normal, healthy baby 3 months of age (13 weeks) is about the time when he should be able to learn sleep habits.
After each feeding/burping/diaper change, a parent can do a little playtime, then a little quiet bonding, then lightly swaddle the baby, put him in the crib, turn on the musical mobile, and walk away. If unsuccessful, parents can talk with the doctor at the baby's 3-month check-up.

In brief: Find a good routine

Dr. Johanna Fricke
Pediatrics - Developmental & Behavioral

In brief: Difficulty with self

regulation can occur in healthy infants with difficult temperaments & in babies who had/have low birth weight, prenatal exposure to alcohol, tobacco or drugs, medical or neurodevelopmental problems.
Screen development on firstsigns.org, have physical & neurological exams & review the velocity of his head & body growth. If all okay, put him to bed drowsy but awake at the same times daily.See below

In brief: Difficulty with self

Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Johanna Fricke
It's important to allow a baby to learn to self-calm for sleep without bottle, pacifier or mom's lap before 5 mos., when implicit memory develops & teeth erupt. Learned behaviors begin at 6 mos. At consistent nap & bedtimes, read, rock, soothe in low light. Wipe out his mouth after the last feed. Put him in his crib in his own room, drowsy, but awake. More on sleep at healthychildren.org
Dr. Shontae Buffington