My eyes squeak when I rub them- loud. It freaks me out. Why do they make noise?

Dr. Jay Bradley
Ophthalmology - LASIK Surgery

In brief: Tear drainage air

This issue is usually related to an abnormality allowing air to enter the tear drainage system which is released and causes the noise with rubbing.
It is nothing to worry about. If it persists, see an eye doctor for further evaluation.

In brief: Tear drainage air

Dr. Jay Bradley
Dr. Jay Bradley
Dr. Rahil Malik

In brief: Air trapping

Sometime air trapping within the moist surfaces can make a tiny noise as you rub your eyes.
If you are having vision changes, crusting in your eyes or any symptoms, you should see an optometrist or get referred to an opthalmologist. If you persistantly rub your eye, it can stimulate an inflammatory response and can give your eyes a red appearance.

In brief: Air trapping

Dr. Rahil Malik
Dr. Rahil Malik