Could my GERD be aggravating my asthma and causing pain across the middle of my back?

Dr. Vivek Huilgol
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology
In brief: GERD and asthma
Yes - gerd can aggravate asthma.
There appear to be two mechanisms at least. One is reflex stimulation at the end of the esophagus triggering cough; the other is the possibility of very small amounts of reflux going down the airway. In either event, this should be addressed sooner rather than later.

In brief: GERD and asthma
Yes - gerd can aggravate asthma.
Dr. Vivek Huilgol
Dr. Vivek Huilgol
Dr. Sidney Vinson
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology
Yes and less likely.
Gerd is a common cause of asthma exacerbations and poor asthma control. Esophageal injury from gerd or esophageal spasm can cause upper back pain but this is uncommon. You might consider a gallbladder evaluation for the back pain.

Yes and less likely.
Dr. Sidney Vinson
Dr. Sidney Vinson
Dr. Arvind Reddy
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology
In brief: Absolutely
This is a very common scenario and needs aggressive therapy.

In brief: Absolutely
Dr. Arvind Reddy
Dr. Arvind Reddy
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine