Could pulmozyme (dornase alfa) use result in increased respiratory rate in non-cf patient with a tracheostomy?

Dr. Aaron Milstone
Internal Medicine - Pulmonology

In brief: Maybe

Side effects with Pulmozyme (dornase alfa) are various and can include irritation of the throat, nose and voice changes.
It can also cause hoarseness. I use a fair amount in my patients and have not seen it increase respiratory rate. I guess if it was irritating the airway you could breath faster due to pain/discomfort. I don't think that increased resp rate is very common on this drug.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Aaron Milstone
Dr. Aaron Milstone

In brief: It isn't likely

In someone who has been taking the medicine for at least a few weeks without any problems, the increased respiratory rate is more likely due to the underlying condition or a new infection / problem rather than the pulmozyme (dornase alfa).

In brief: It isn't likely

Dr. C. michael Bowman
Dr. C. michael Bowman
Dr. Shontae Buffington