Is it possible that mid to lower back pain on one sidecould be a problem with the kidneys?

Unlikely. Causes of kidney pain commonly are related to kidney stones, infection or complications of kidney cysts such as bleeding or rupture. These are all associated with other symptoms such as fevers or blood in the urine. Isolated low back pain more likely related to musculoskeletal pain. Try stretching, yoga, exercise etc.., .
Yes. Back pain on either side of the spine (called flank pain by doctors) can be caused by kidney disease, especially if the person doesn't remember hurting his back by lifting or working too much. Other abdominal problems (occasionally serious ones such as a tumor) can also show up as back pain, so evaluation by a doctor is needed.