What are some causes of fibromyalgia?

Dr. Ronald Krauser
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: None

The cause of fibromyalgia is unknown although there are theories that abound.
We do know that there is an increased sensitivity of nerve endings to pain in patients with this disease. We also do not know why it occurs predominantly in women.

In brief: None

Dr. Ronald Krauser
Dr. Ronald Krauser
2 comments
Dr. Laurence Badgley
The reason for a "spectrum of disorder" for fibromyalgia is that the cause, pelvic girdle instability due to pelvic ligament laxity, manifests differently in individuals & genders.  The body musculoskeletal tower is constantly stressed by gravity & a body tilted above an unstable pelvis incurs widely ranging chronic muscle spasm leading to varying densities of painful trigger points. The delicate female pelvis is more easily injured & women have an higher incidence of Joint Hypermobility Syndrome (inherited trait) that contributes to pelvis instability.  Female pelvices are subject to varying intensities of permanent injury related to frequency of childbirth.  In both sexes, severity of symptoms is a function of musculoskeletal deconditioning & upper body mass borne by an unstable pelvis.  On a Pain Board at Quora.com a medical researcher discusses these dynamics, which are the true cause of fibromyalgia. 
Dr. Ronald Krauser
Your comment is total fabrication and there is no increased incidence of hypermobility in fibromyalgia. Discuss facts and not the unsubstantiated theories from unscientific web sites.
Dr. Laurence Badgley
General Practice

In brief: Loose ligaments

To my mind, loose joints from injury (most common male cause), multiple childbirths, & joint hypermobility syndrome, which explains genetic relationship.
 pelvic girdle instability and asymmetric body tower causal of chronic muscle spasm and pain-generating trigger points.  chronic pain causes unrefreshing sleep and depression (quora.Com).

In brief: Loose ligaments

Dr. Laurence Badgley
Dr. Laurence Badgley
11 comments
Dr. Laurence Badgley
Dr. Laurence Badgley
The unifying genetic relationship in fibromyalgia is probably Joint Hypermobility Syndrome (JHS), a known genetic condition.  I have noted that a good portion of female fibromyalgia sufferers satisfy the Bristol Criteria for JHS, and are able to oppose thumb to lateral radial skin, hyperextended elbows and knees, and can place their palms on the floor with knees locked.  Most could put their feet behind their head and back bridge as youngsters and many can do so as adults.  JHS is a disorder with a spectrum of penetrance; with Marfans and Ehlers-Danlos at the clinical severity end of the spectrum.  My speculation is that the trait is conserved in females because it increases pelvic joint (SIJ and symphysis pubis) flexibility during childbirth.  Many of my patients with fibromyalgia and subclinical JHS delivered their fourth or fifth child in minutes rather than hours.  I speculate that repetitive childbirth, in conjunction with the hormone Relaxin, progressively loosens pelvic ligaments.  This functionality would seem to favor infant survivability.  To my mind fibromyalgia results from the effects of a loose ligament-skeletal system attempting to maintain a medial center of gravity via chronic muscle spasm leading to widespread ischemic trigger points (after the work of Shah at NIH).
Dr. Jane Van Dis