How can I prevent my children from getting allergies?

Dr. Lisa Roberts

In brief: Breastfeed!

Breastfeeding is shown to be protective for children with a strong family history of allergies.
If unable to breast feed, try a hypoallergenic formula such as "nutramigen" or "alimentum". Try to avoid introducing baby foods until 4-6 months of age; once you do, introduce them slowly. Interestingly, exposure to dogs & cats appears to reduce the risk of becoming allergic to those household pets!

In brief: Breastfeed!

Dr. Lisa Roberts
Dr. Lisa Roberts
Dr. Adam Naddelman

In brief: Controversial

Unfortunately, there is no universal agreement on how to best prevent allergies in children.
There are certain measures that can be taken if you have a strong family history of allergies, and these are best discussed with your pediatrician. Traditional measures of food avoidance may not be applicable to you and your baby.

In brief: Controversial

Dr. Adam Naddelman
Dr. Adam Naddelman