Is makoplasty safe?

Dr. Greg Hicken
Orthopedic Surgery - Reconstruction
In brief: Usually
Makoplasty is using a robot to assist the surgeon doing joint replacement.
It is a tool that has a learning curve. The experience of the surgeon is the most important factor determining outcome.

In brief: Usually
Dr. Greg Hicken
Dr. Greg Hicken
Dr. Scott m Smith
Orthopedic Surgery - Reconstruction
In brief: ????
Im not sure what makoplasty is.

In brief: ????
Im not sure what makoplasty is.
Dr. Scott m Smith
Dr. Scott m Smith
Dr. Scott Russinoff
Orthopedic Surgery - Reconstruction
It is safe but not necessarily necessary.
I am a big believer in computer navigation for total knee replacements, but feel makoplasty is extremely expensive for very little gain. Most surgeons that perform a lot of partial knee replacements do not need to use makoplasty.

Dr. Scott Russinoff
Dr. Scott Russinoff
Dr. John Ayres
Orthopedic Surgery
All operations have risks which have to be weighed against the possible benefits.
Makoplasty joint replacement procedures use a robot and computer to improve the surgeon's precision and consistency. Makoplasty, like any joint replacement operation, has a small (<5%) but real risk of stiffness, infection, blood clot, stroke, and other mechanical problems with the prosthesis.

Dr. John Ayres
Dr. John Ayres
Dr. Frederick Buechel, jr. md
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Very safe
I have performed over 500 makoplasty procedures and it is very very safe .
It is superior to all other techniques for precise installation of partial knee replacements. When performed by an experienced makoplasty surgeon, it allows us to balance the tension of your ligaments within a millimeter and make the implants track centrally so they last decades. Mine all go home the same day, little pain.

In brief: Very safe
Dr. Frederick Buechel, jr. md
Dr. Frederick Buechel, jr. md
Dr. Barry Waldman
Orthopedic Surgery - Reconstruction
It is no less or more safe than any other type of partial knee replacement.

Dr. Barry Waldman
Dr. Barry Waldman
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine