I have an extra lumbar vertebra. Could that be the cause of my back pain?

Dr. Andrew Carroll

While you were developing, you had a congenital difference from your colleagues in the homo sapien world.
Though this does not typically lead to issues, the back is a very fickle structure, and occasionally it can lead to back difficulties. This is not always a given though.

Dr. Andrew Carroll
Dr. Andrew Carroll
Dr. Carl Spivak
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine

In brief: Not usually.

An extra lumbar vertebrae does not usually cause pain.
Most people have 5 lumbar vertebrae, but it is not uncommon to see between 4 and 6 lumbar vertebrae. This is usually a coincidental finding and not the cause of the pain. Other causes of back pain should be looked for such as disease disease, arthritis, fracture, etc.

In brief: Not usually.

Dr. Carl Spivak
Dr. Carl Spivak
Dr. Jack Hinkle
Board Certified, Family Medicine