What can I do to limit the amount of HSV 1 (gential area) outbreaks I get? 

Dr. Ally-Khan Somani
Dermatology

In brief: Antivirals can help

Genital herpes is usually due to hsv2 and can have higher recurrence/re-activation rates.
Remember the virus is dormant in nerve cells and can re-activate during times of stress. Suppressive antiviral therapy can be used in individuals with frequent and/or particularly symptomatic relapses. See your board certified dermatologist to be evaluated.

In brief: Antivirals can help

Dr. Ally-Khan Somani
Dr. Ally-Khan Somani
Dr. David Finke

In brief: Suppression

Now hsv-1 and hsv-2 can both be the cause of cold sores and/or genital outbreaks.
For a history of frequent outbreaks, your doctor may recommend daily suppressive therapy with Acyclovir or valcyclovir.

In brief: Suppression

Dr. David Finke
Dr. David Finke
Dr. Jane Van Dis