What can I do to limit the amount of HSV 1 (gential area) outbreaks I get?  

Antivirals can help. Genital herpes is usually due to hsv2 and can have higher recurrence/re-activation rates. Remember the virus is dormant in nerve cells and can re-activate during times of stress. Suppressive antiviral therapy can be used in individuals with frequent and/or particularly symptomatic relapses. See your board certified dermatologist to be evaluated.
Suppression. Now hsv-1 and hsv-2 can both be the cause of cold sores and/or genital outbreaks. For a history of frequent outbreaks, your doctor may recommend daily suppressive therapy with Acyclovir or valcyclovir.