I fell the other day and now my butt is swollen and i'm in extreme pain. Could I have broken somethi?

Dr. Vikram Patel
Pain Management

In brief: Butt pain

It depends on how you landed.
Sacroiliac joint is commonly damaged when landing on the butt. There could me muscle contusion causing pain. Tailbone can also be damaged. A plain x-ray can reveal lot of information. See your primary care doctor for proper work up.

In brief: Butt pain

It depends on how you landed.
Dr. Vikram Patel
Dr. Vikram Patel

In brief: Fracture is painful

Extreme pain in the injured area of the butt, after one falls on his butt, is often a sign that some bone is broken.
The tailbone, part of the pelvis bones, or the upper part of the thigh bones are all in that area and can be break with a fall. An orthopedic doctor or emergency room doctor can evaluate and do x-rays if needed, to get a diagnosis.

In brief: Fracture is painful

Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine