Any correlation between irritable bowel syndrome and anxiety?

Dr. Samuel Bayles
Pediatrics - Psychiatry

yes, almost always connected.
hard not to be anxious when you are bloated can't eat and have diarrhea every day. then you worry and it makes the gut worse which then causes more worry. it's a vicious cycle. I believe the older tricyclics antidepressants can be very helpful as they can help mood and slow GI transit time.

yes, almost always connected.
Dr. Samuel Bayles
Dr. Samuel Bayles
Dr. Samuel Bayles
one thing i didn't make clear, they are one and the same. most likely a series of things have happened in your body that triggered irritable bowel AND anxiety. my guess is that you have had some type of chronic stress and or traumas.

In brief: Emotions affect IBS

The intestines have lots of nerve endings, chemical transmitters, and various types of sensors.
So, one's gut is very connected to one's brain and emotions. When intestinal muscles contract, when they relax, how forcefully they move lumps of material down the intestine, how often the contractions come, whether or not contractions are coordinated, etc... Can all change with one's emotions.

In brief: Emotions affect IBS

Dr. Douglas Bey

Commonly go together--fyi--durchfallen means failure & also diarrhea in german--.

Dr. Douglas Bey
Dr. Douglas Bey
Dr. Steven Seres