I am having difficulty swallowing. How do I know if it just a viral infection or something serious ?

Dr. Patrick Melder
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Duration of symptoms

It depends on 1) duration of symptoms 2) other symptoms like pain, weight loss 3) age 4) history of tobacco or alcohol abuse.
If duration has been short (less than 2 weeks)with no weight loss and other symptoms of a viral infection (fever, chills) - then it is likely nothing to be concerned about. If long duration of symptoms (>2 weeks) with weight loss - it should be evaluated.

In brief: Duration of symptoms

Dr. Patrick Melder
Dr. Patrick Melder
Dr. Ronald Achong
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: See your doctor

Your doctor can do a swab of the throat to check for step throat.
There are many reasons that can cause difficulty swallowing. Check with your doctor.

In brief: See your doctor

Dr. Ronald Achong
Dr. Ronald Achong
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine