Can meniscus tear be seen on xray? How is it confirmed?

No. You cannot see meniscal tears on xray. Those only show the bony structures. An MRI is needed to verify a meniscal tear.
Need an MRI. An xray cannot see a meniscus tear. This can be visualized by mri.
Meniscus tear. If significant tear, both MRI and clinical exam (locking, buckling, mcmurray test) will be positive.
Usually not. A meniscus tear is an injury to the cartilage that pads the knee joint. Regular xrays are helpful to rule out other causes of your pain i.e. Fracture), but the best imaging test is an MRI of the knee.