My 2 year old has tubes in her ears how long do kids usually have to have them?

Dr. Dale Tylor
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery - Pediatric
In brief: Variable
They tend to last 6 months to 2 years and the body naturally pushes them out, often without you realizing it and with the eardrum sealing right back up.
If they stay in beyond 2 1/2 or 3 years there is increased risk of permanent hole in the eardrum once they do fall out. You should have the tubes checked every 6-12 months to make sure of their position and function.

In brief: Variable
Dr. Dale Tylor
Dr. Dale Tylor
Dr. Patrick Melder
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: About 2 years
When i place tubes in children.
.. I inform parents that the tubes are designed to come out in about 6-12 months (depending on tube design and purpose). Many times they come out as cerumen (wax) is naturally expressed and they are never seen. I tell parents that if the tubes have not naturally come out in 2 years (with no repeated infections) then i would recommend removal.

In brief: About 2 years
When i place tubes in children.
Dr. Patrick Melder
Dr. Patrick Melder
Dr. Adam Smith