Has sudden infant death syndrome in survivors been linked to learning disabilities ?

Dr. Todd Zimmerman
Pediatrics - Emergency Medicine

In brief: SIDS

I would say this is an alte, or an apparent life threatening event vs.
Surviving sids. It is reasonable to say if your brain was without oxygen for a significant amount of time than it is possible that later there could be a ld. It could be hard to prove on a case by case basis the exact cause of a ld.

In brief: SIDS

Dr. Todd Zimmerman
Dr. Todd Zimmerman
I would add that 3 decades ago there was a lot of confusion over what was called near-miss SIDS, but was more appropriately an ALTE. By convention,you don't survive SIDS
Dr. William Singer
Pediatrics - Neurology

In brief: No

No link

In brief: No

No link
Dr. William Singer
Dr. William Singer
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Pediatrics - Developmental & Behavioral

In brief: The duration of the

Episode, findings on brain MRI when stable, developmental levels & progress post-alte vs.
Pre-alte, & serial neurological exams help determine the risk of intellectual disability, cerebral palsy & associated impairments. Transition from early intervention services to early childhood special education at 3 helps maximize the child's developmental potential, as does pediatric & subspecialty care.

In brief: The duration of the

Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Willa Terry

In brief: Sometimes

It depends on the extent of the resuscitation neede to correct the cardio respiratory arrest associated with the event.

In brief: Sometimes

Dr. Willa Terry
Dr. Willa Terry