I'm very itchy, sneezy, have watery eyes, a runny nose, and congested. I have an allergy test in 5 days. Can i take some Benadryl (diphenhydramine) tonight to help me?

Dr. Michael Zacharisen
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Probably ok

For allergy skin tests to be interpreted accurately, antihistamines are generally stopped for at least 3 days before testing.
Benadryl (diphenhydramine) is not a long acting antihistamine, so it will likely be out of your systems in time.

In brief: Probably ok

Dr. Simon Kimm
Urology

In brief: Yes.

You should be able to take Benadryl (diphenhydramine) without affecting an allergy test 5 days from now.
If your symptoms are not due to allergy but viral, then taking an antihistamine is not likely to help. Symptomatic relief may be better with other over the counter medications.

In brief: Yes.

Dr. Shontae Buffington