I'm curious why even with weight loss (-17pounds) my scale BMI doesn't really ever change?

Know body compositio. It is important not to confuse bmi with body fat. The bmi (body mass index) numbers are not percentages of body fat. If bmi is same but fat is decreasing. There are quite a few groups of people for whom bmi is not as accurate –- short women and muscular people, to name two. Bmi also varies according to some ethnic groups. Knowing body fat percentage is an improvement over bmi.
The scale is wrong. Body mass index (bmi) is a number that takes into account both a person's weight and height. If a person stays the same height, changes in weight will always change the bmi. For example, a 5ft 6in person at 160 lbs has a BMI of 26 (overweight). If he drops to 150 lbs, he has a BMI of 24 (healthy). A BMI scale that doesn't change the BMI when the weight drops is not working properly.