dr. pappas, I didn't have depression until I lost both of my parents to cancer with less than a year apart. I quit college to take care of them.?

Long-term grief

Open-uri20121206-30497-w4b4ye
You went through a very stressful time with your parents' illnesses, caring for them, and their eventual deaths. Your college was disrupted as well. Sometimes grief can be a very complicated process; it can stagnate into depression in situations like this. Perhaps you have not yet been able to get on with your life? Working with a therapist could be of real use to you, along w/your medications.
Sign Up

Get personalized answers from doctors!

Cancer Depression Therapist

answered:

See below

Cancer
I'm sorry about the loss of your parents. Based on your brief description, there are several things that are going on -- all of them are losses --loss of parents, and quitting college. We need to grieve over our losses. Find someone who specializes in loss and grief to help you through this difficult process. Best of luck to you!
Sign Up

Get personalized answers from doctors!

Cancer Depression