My left ring and pinky finger have been numb. What is the cause and how do I treat it?

Dr. Jack Choueka
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Ulnar nerve
Numbness of the the ring and little fingers is usually the result of compression of the ulnar nerve somewhere along the arm and usually at the elbow.
It is called cubital tunnel syndrome not to be confused with carpal tunnel syndrome. It can also be the result of a herniated disc in the neck. An nerve test is used to localize the cause and help determine treatment.

In brief: Ulnar nerve
Dr. Jack Choueka
Dr. Jack Choueka
Dr. David Hardin
Wound care
In brief: Don't lean on elbow
You have a nerve compression of a nerve called the ulnar nerve.
This usually happens at the wrist or the elbow. Try to avoid leaning on your elbow. If it happens at your wrist things like cycling and hammering may cause or worsen it. See a physical medicine and rehabilitation doctor for diagnosis and nonsurgical treatment.

In brief: Don't lean on elbow
Dr. David Hardin
Dr. David Hardin
Dr. Jack Hinkle
Board Certified, Family Medicine