Are there any risks associated with a vegan diet?

Dr. Allen Fein

In brief: Vit B12 may drop

The vegan diet is complete and very healthy.
All that is missing is B12 (cyanocobalamine), which comes only from animal food, or from vitamin supplements. Taking a multiple vitamin pill or better a higher dose B12 supplement by pill (or injection) is recommended. I like to test the B12 levels on my vagan patients just to be on the safe side. It is crucial to vary your types of vegetables etc.

In brief: Vit B12 may drop

Dr. Allen Fein
Dr. Allen Fein
Dr. David Finke

In brief: No

Many leading health and diet experts are praising the benefits of a vegan diet.
Some nutritionists question if your body can get enough protein from vegan sources. You can get enough protein from peas, quinoa, soy, etc. Educate yourself on heart healthy diets--at most your body may benefit from fish and 1-3 servings of dairy a week!

In brief: No

Dr. David Finke
Dr. David Finke
Dr. Robert Lang
Strict vegans will not get enough vitamin B12, vitamin D or iodine and need to supplement.