My son has fall allergies. How can I keep it on control?

Dr. Michael Zacharisen
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Treat early

The best time to treat fall allergy symptoms is before they start.
The most effective treatment for allergic rhinitis is the prescription nasal cortisone sprays such as qnasl, nasonex, (mometasone) flonase, etc. Nasonex (mometasone) is approved to age 2 years old. Antihistamines can also be helpful. If symptoms not controlled, an allergist can be a great source of information and advice.

In brief: Treat early

Dr. Michael Zacharisen
Dr. Michael Zacharisen
2 comments
Dr. Natalie Geary
Just be cautious with use of steroids even in nasal spray. Suggest using normal saline alternating to prevent a build up of steroids in a child
Dr. Gloria Lopez
Intranasal steroids have been proven safe in children. I would be more concerned with the relief of the allergy symptoms which left untreated can have more long term consequences, such as fluid in the middle ear (effusion), leading to hearing problems and delay in language development as a result, as well as attention deficit. Association between allergic sensitization and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder has been well documented in the literature.

In brief: Avoid pollens

Fall allergies are usually due to pollens that are in the air at that time of year. Some people are allergic to molds and other substances that are on fallen, composting leaves.
One can wear a mask when working outdoors or when hiking. Avoid playing outdoors when the pollen or smog levels are high. Medicines such as Claritin otc, zyrtec otc, or prescription nasal steroid sprays are helpful.

In brief: Avoid pollens

Dr. Michael Zacharisen
I agree with Dr. Kwok. Also, starting medications BEFORE the pollen starts (and symptoms start) provides better relief and prevents "priming" of the immune system.
Dr. Shontae Buffington