Is cortizone (hydrocortisone) guaranteed to work for heel spur?

Not necessarily. A heel spur is a calcium deposit located in the heel that usually presses on the soft tissue and tendons in the heel causing pain. Although a cortisone shot can help reduce inflammation and reduce pain, it does not remove the spur. Sometimes surgical intervention is warrented.
NOT A GUARANTEE. A cortisone shot can be very helpful, but not a guarantee for success. Sometimes we give a 2nd, maybe a 3rd, but if three are not helping, 4,5,6 etc. probably won't. If used properly, with appropriate amounts, it's fairly safe, but does have side effects; talk to your doctor about this. The shot should also be used in combination w/ NSAID's, stretching, inserts, or taping, to name four.
No. In fact, a cortisone shot in this location may help in the short-term but cause long-term problems. Cortisone can damage the fat pad in your heel and lead to chronic problems. Avoid cortisone shots in your heel and start with an aggressive stretching program. Patience pays off.