What is the definition or description of: supracervical hysterectomy?

Dr. Kevin Fleishman

In brief: Cut above the cervix

A supracervical hysterectomy is the removal of the top of the uterus, or fundus, and leaving the cervix, or entrance to the uterus.
It is an easier hysterectomy to do and can often be done laparoscopically. However some people continue to have bleeding and prolapse problems and you can still get cervical cancer. If you consider this make sure you have a good reason to leave the cervix.

In brief: Cut above the cervix

Dr. Lillian Schapiro

In brief: Keeping the cervix

Some women choose to keep their cervix.
The french have done this for years because they think it helps with sex. I have asked patients with cervix and without and both groups report excellent sex life after hysterectomy. Supracervical hysterectomies can be done open, laparoscopically and robotically.

In brief: Keeping the cervix

Some women choose to keep their cervix.
Dr. Jane Van Dis