After a heart attack I had 6 stents placed in my right coronay artery. Is it plavix (clopidogrel) forever now?

No. You should rely on your cardiologist's direction about how long to take plavix (clopidogrel). There are many variables and it's a high-stakes matter. It depends on whether your stents are bare metal or drug-eluting. There is another alternative platelet drug called effient. Note that a genetic test is available to see if Plavix (clopidogrel) is likely to be effective for you. Make sure you are treating the cause.
1 year. Most agree that to prevent blood clots forming on a drug coated stent, 1 year of Plavix (clopidogrel) ( with baby aspirin) is recommended . 30 days is recommended for uncoated stents. In your case with extensive stents 1 year is reasonable.
Heart disease. With that extensive amount of stents it is likely that your cardiologist will have you remain on Plavix (clopidogrel) long term. This is also based upon your bleeding risks.