My 6 year old son has started blinking a lot ? Is this a sign of vision problems or a tic?

Dr. Carla Enriquez
In brief: Depends
Blinking is exceedingly common in 6 year old kids.
Squinting is different. If your child is squinting, then she should see an ophthalmologist. If it's blinking, i would observe to see when it occurs, and if other symptoms are associated with it. Consult your pediatrician if you continue to be concerned.

In brief: Depends
Dr. Carla Enriquez
Dr. Carla Enriquez
Dr. John Odette
Ophthalmology
In brief: See Below
This could be either a learned behavior (tic etc) or an eye problem. I would recommend a good exam from an ophthalmologist experienced in evaluating kids, preferably sooner as if it is an eye issue it is best to start treatment as young as possible.

In brief: See Below
Dr. John Odette
Dr. John Odette
Dr. William Singer
Pediatrics - Neurology
In brief: Could be either
The cause can be either consideration.
This is a common age for the development of tics and excessive blinking is a common tic. Speak to your pediatrician who can check his eyes. If his eyes are fine, it is likely a tic. Speak to your pediatrician about whether or not treatment should be considered, since many single tics resolve without treatment.

In brief: Could be either
The cause can be either consideration.
Dr. William Singer
Dr. William Singer
Dr. Jonathan Jassey