What kinds of problems can my baby with a cleft lip have?

No physical problems. Most infants with cleft lip only (the palate, or roof of the mouth is properly formed)have no physical problems. They can usually breast nurse, if mother wishes, or use a wide variety of stnadard commercial bottles and nipples. However, about 15% of cleft lip onlu children will ahve speech and/or hearing probles. Therefore they are followed by the cleft lip/palate team until 3-4 years of age.
Speech/hear/swallow. The issues other than cosmetic primarily relate to nutrition and swallowing adaptations, hearing impairment, and speech impediments. The is why a team of specialist are usually in the best interest of the child and include, speech therapist, audiologist, ent, plastic surgeon, maxilla facial surgeon, prosthedontist, nutritionist, etc.