What do I do if I have been told that my prenatal ultrasound shows a cleft lip and, maybe, a cleft p

Dr. Jeffrey Marsh
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: See specialist

Modern ultasounography can accurately identify a birth defect (split) of the lip ("cleft lip"), as long as the baby cooperates by not hiding it's face.
Your OB will probably refer you to either a genetics counsellor and/or a pediatric plastic surgeon for more information about what cleft lip and cleft palate (a split in the roof of the mouth)are and how they are managed after birth.

In brief: See specialist

Dr. Jeffrey Marsh
Dr. Jeffrey Marsh
Dr. Satish Sundar
There are facial plastics teams that work in helping you. It is a team effort and larger centers do a great job with it.
Dr. Harold Rosenfeld
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Consult

There are two questions1]ethical, 2]surgical.
There is no intrauterine intervention being done clinically. Your plastic surgeon will be ale to help you understand the scope of treatment available to your child.

In brief: Consult

Dr. Harold Rosenfeld
Dr. Harold Rosenfeld
Dr. Otto Placik
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Consult with special

A cleft lip or palate is not a life threatening condition but one that can vary tremendously in extent and severity.
Although research is currently looking into options for in-utero repair with minimal scarring, this is not an acceptable technique due to the high rate of miscarriage following hyaterotomy. In the meantime consult with a specialist and team to discuss options following birth.

In brief: Consult with special

Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Adam Levy