I have a hiael hernia in my esphogous and had every treatment for that, yet iam still having great discomfort, is surgery next ?

Dr. Leon Katz
Bariatrics

In brief: Surgery is an option

If you have a symptomatic hiatal hernia and the traditional medical treatments haven't been successful then surgery is worthwhile to consider. Discuss with your medical doctor if you are fit enough for general anesthesia and then meet with a surgeon who is well versed in laparoscopic hiatal hernia repair.
The surgery can lead to a markedly improve quality of life, if the right doctor is seen.

In brief: Surgery is an option

Dr. Kirpal Singh
Most patients do not have pain or discomfort from hiatal hernia unless there is severe esophagitis on EGD. GI and Surgery consult will help.

In brief: Maybe

Reflux disease despite prolonged antacid and proton-pump inhibitors like Nexium (esomeprazole) especially in the presence of hiatal hernia should be addressed surgically.
Surgery however has a 1-2 % chance of persistence of reflux and heartburn.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery