What symptoms should make me suspect I may have an aortic dissection?

Severe, abrupt pain. Pain that is abrupt in onset and severe in intensity is the most common symptom with aortic dissection (roughly 90% of cases). Because of the size and location of the aorta, pain may be experienced as either chest pain, back pain, or abdominal pain. Additionally, pain that feels like ripping or tearing in any of these areas should raise a concern for aortic dissection.
Severe pain. Severe pain in back of chest or abdomen could mean aortic dissection.