Why do I get my old MS symptoms back when I am heated up?

Dr. Zorian Trusewych
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology
In brief: Nerve transmission
This is a well known phenomenon and was used in diagnosis in the past.
It is assumed to be caused by heat slowing conduction in previously damaged nerves.

In brief: Nerve transmission
Dr. Zorian Trusewych
Dr. Zorian Trusewych
Dr. Gregg Friedman
Gregg L. Friedman MD Psychiatrist agrees
In brief: Old MS pathways
Electric signal transmission across nerve fibers (axons) requires good insulation (myelin).
While MS inflammation is followed by myelin repair, the extent of repair may vary and is never perfect. When core body temperature goes up, some of these old MS lesioned pathways are prone to "drop the signal". This is the "uhthoff phenomenon". No permanent damage is done.

In brief: Old MS pathways
Dr. Virginia Simnad
Dr. Virginia Simnad
In brief: Insulation
Your myelin nerve coverings are partially dysfunctional due to prior inflammatory attack and heat of any kind can cause changes in intracellular potassium resulting in symptoms.
This is reversable by cooling

In brief: Insulation
This is reversable by cooling
Dr. Arnon Rubin