Why do I have to stop tobacco use?

Dr. Susan Woods
In brief: Have to or want to?
You don't have to.
You're an individual with your own life. But you have choices about reducing risk. Stopping tobacco will do that. Your brain likes tobacco and will do whatever it can to get more. If you choose to trick your brain, then the hard part starts - trying to quit. If you choose to reduce your risk, you should use the best treatments available: coaching + medications. Call 800-quit-now.

In brief: Have to or want to?
You don't have to.
Dr. Susan Woods
Dr. Susan Woods
Dr. Michael Bolesta
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Many risks increased
Tobacco use (smoking, dipping, or chewing) is well known to cause heart and lung problems, and cancer.
It also slows bone healing, increasing the risk that fractures and fusions might not heal properly. It is also associated with degeneration of the spine (neck and back) and with a higher risk of chronic pain. Stopping now is a major positive step to improve your health.

In brief: Many risks increased
Dr. Michael Bolesta
Dr. Michael Bolesta
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Addiction Medicine
In brief: For better life
Odd to have a doctor ask this question, but in reality many doctors still smoke.
Alarmingly, many more doctors in my own field smoke, because many are themselves in recovery from alcohol and other drug use, and as many at 80% (even higher sometimes) of people with addiction also smoke, which is after all another addiction. To live longer, to breathe better, to not have a heart attack or cancer.

In brief: For better life
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Alan Wartenberg