What is lymphedema and do you treat lymphatic disorders?

Dr. Vasu Brown
Wound care
In brief: Tissue swelling
Latin lympha "water goddess" - lymph is essentially recycled blood plasma.
The lymphatic system returns the interstitial fluid to the thoracic duct and then to the bloodstream, where it is recirculated back to the tissues.Tissues with lymphedema are at risk of infection and ulcer. Yes I am certified in lymphatic therapy. We use fda approved lymphedema laser therapy for lymph drainage.

In brief: Tissue swelling
Dr. Vasu Brown
Dr. Vasu Brown
Dr. Ted King
Phlebology
In brief: Swelling
Lymphedema is swelling due to an imbalance between lymph leaving the blood stream and that going back in.
You either make too much lymph (not common) or not enough of it returrns into the circulation. There are many risk factors for lymphedema. Surgery and radiation are probably the two most likely identifiable causes for lymphedema. It can be congenital and a child is born with it.

In brief: Swelling
Dr. Ted King
Dr. Ted King
Dr. Ted King
Much more commonly, it will develop during puberty, or else after age 35. Women get lymphedema more commonly than men. Worldwide, the most common cause is a parasitic infection. I also treat lymphedema.
Dr. Khashayar Salartash
Surgery - Vascular
In brief: I specialize in it
Lymphedema is a condition that causes the body to build up protein rich fluid in the affected area, resulting in swelling.
Generally, it affects the limbs, but it can occur in other areas such as the abdominal region. If left untreated, the fluid will eventually reduce oxygen availability to the area and may result in delay of wound healing and possible infection. I specialize in this disorder.

In brief: I specialize in it
Dr. Khashayar Salartash
Dr. Khashayar Salartash
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery