Why does the block center think taking antidepressants can cause problems?

Dr. Cyma Khalily

In brief: INTERESTING

Sorry could not disagree more with dr. Block.
Most diseases are not cured but are effectively treated. So it is with psychiatric illnesses as well. The antidepressants are truly beneficial and at times down right miraculous and life saving. It would be a tragedy to not prescribe an antidepressant under the right conditions , circumstances and of course correct diagnosis with an appropriate doctor.

In brief: INTERESTING

Dr. Cyma Khalily
Dr. Cyma Khalily
Dr. Pamela Pappas

In brief: The Block Center

Since you're the head of the block center, dr. Block, you're more able to inform us about your concerns than anyone else.
However, many other physicians here on healthtap, including psychiatrists like me, understand & agree that antidepressants can cause problems. At times they're still needed to relieve incapacitating symptoms. I agree with your stance on full medical workups first. Peace.

In brief: The Block Center

Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Mary Ann Block
General Practice

In brief: Don't address causes

Even when they do help the symptoms, they do not address the real cause and too often another drug is prescribed. Antidepressants also have the potential to cause serious and life-threatening side effects. I think it is better to do a full medical work-up and find and treat the cause rather than just cover symptoms with drugs.

In brief: Don't address causes

Dr. Mary Ann Block
Dr. Mary Ann Block
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Block, your question about problems associated with antidepressants is certainly valid, but it seems odd that you would pose as a patient to ask it. No one here on HealthTap -- including its many psychiatrists -- would deny the need for full medical workup of mental, emotional, and behavioral symptoms. In fact, many of us have suggested the same in our previous answers to other questions. Many of us are as concerned as you are about over-prescription of psychiatric medications, including antidepressants. Sometimes, though, "the real cause" is truly a psychiatric illness requiring both psychotherapy and appropriate medications. I'm glad you're willing to help all patients get accurate diagnoses, as well as the treatment they need.
Dr. Eric Weisman