Is it ok to use bactroban (mupirocin) cream in nose, not the ointment?

Probably okay. There is a special version of Mupirocin (one trade name is bactroban) which is designed for the nose. That version is an ointment which generally is less irritating to the mucosal surface of the nose. The cream can probably work in a pinch, but might be irritating so is not recommended.
No. Although nothing serious will result from putting Bactroban Cream in the nose, i would recommend using the ointment in the nose. I prescribe it for many of my patients with nasal dryness, irritation or for healing after nasal surgery. If you use the cream, you will find a milky consistency to your nasal secretions and even in your mouth. Ointment will dissolve just as easy without the mess.