If mom has a cold how can I prevent my newborn from getting it to?

Dr. Alan Greene

In brief: Not likely to catch

Breastfeeding an 8-week-old makes it less likely she'll catch the family cold.
In addition to immune factors and targeted antibodies in breast milk, young babies do still have some remaining protection from respiratory viruses transferred from their mothers before birth, making colds less likely. The peak age for colds is 6 to 12 months old, when inherited immunity is fading.

In brief: Not likely to catch

Dr. Alan Greene
Dr. Alan Greene
2 comments
Dr. Suzanne Gilberg-Lenz
do NOT stop breastfeeding if u become ill! stay hydrated & take care of urself, thats best 4 u both
Dr. Kevin Windisch
lots of good hand washing will help prevent virus transmision. Make sure that mom gets her flu shot

In brief: Mask & hand washing

Wearing a mask and good hand hygiene may prevent spreading the respiratory infections to your newborn.
Breastfeeding is another protective measure for a newborn from getting infected.

In brief: Mask & hand washing

Dr. Ecaterina Sartina
Dr. Ecaterina Sartina
Dr. Adam Smith