My knees dislocate easily because my femur is flat at the top, what can I do to strengthen my vmo?

Dr. Joel McClurg
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: If that doesn't work

Some patients do not do well with non-operative treatment and there are a host of different surgical procedures to correct the problem.

In brief: If that doesn't work

Dr. Joel McClurg
Dr. Joel McClurg
Dr. Joel McClurg
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: More than the VMO

Strengthening of the vastus medialis obliquus muscle is only one part of the non-operative treatment of patellofemoral hypoplasia.
General quad strengthening, and lateral reticular stretching are other important considerations and i usually recommend at least a short course of formal therapy for patients to learn the correct techniques for these exercises. Bracing can also be helpful.

In brief: More than the VMO

Dr. Joel McClurg
Dr. Joel McClurg
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine