After playing piano I have the urge to stretch my wrists even though I don't move them that much, why is that?

Dr. Aileen Shieu
Surgery - Hand Surgery
In brief: Swelling
The tendons that go to your fingers that move them up and down to play piano run across your wrists and connect to muscles in your forearm. The entire tendon may swell with playing so your wrists may feel tight as well as your fingers.
Stretching your fingers, wrists, and forearms before and after playing is a good idea!

In brief: Swelling
Dr. Aileen Shieu
Dr. Aileen Shieu
2 comments
Dr. Robert Gluck
Pianists and musicians in general need to make a paradigm shift and think of themselves like athletes i
Dr. Robert Gluck
i.e proper warm up and stretching etc...
Dr. Otto Placik
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Not sure
I am not sure I have an explanation but the held position may be causing you to be "stiff".

In brief: Not sure
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine