How do I recover from shin splints while still continuing to train for my marathon?

Dr. John Thaler
Dentistry - Prosthodontics
In brief: Slowly
You cannot heal these fast.
They usually result from overtraining or trying to do too much too fast. Also can occur if changing running surfaces and sometimes taking on too many hills too soon. Resting them is best. Some advise running in the pool to stay in shape. You might cross train on the bike - though this may also aggravate them. See your Podiatrist /Orthopaedic surgeon/ physical therapist

In brief: Slowly
You cannot heal these fast.
Dr. John Thaler
Dr. John Thaler
Dr. Mark Galland
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: X-training benefits
Cross training is a good way to increase overall fitness and prevent overuse injuries (such as "shin splints) in specific body regions.
Using various muscle groups and altering the areas of greatest stress on the body during exercise gives muscles, bones, ligaments, tendons, etc a chance to recovery between specific workouts. Try biking or swimming.

In brief: X-training benefits
Dr. Mark Galland
Dr. Mark Galland
Dr. James Cunnar
In brief: That's tough
I'm assuming this was for the chicago marathon.
Rest is key. To keep training you can do training in a pool, to take the strain off the lower leg. Physical therapy (where they do electrostimulation and/or ultrasound therapies) and anti-inflammatory medicines are also mainstays of therapy. I hope your race went well, and that your legs are feeling better!

In brief: That's tough
Dr. James Cunnar
Dr. James Cunnar
Dr. Andrea Brand
Board Certified, Family Medicine