I have osteoarthritis in my right hip, what options do I have to prolong my hip?

Dr. Qamar Khan
Pain Management
In brief: A few options
Strengthening the muscles around the hip will help a lot.
You may want to consider some supplements like glucosamine, however recent research hasn't shown a lot of benefit. Other options include steroid injections, but these don't heal much. You can consider Synvisc (hylan g-f 20) or other joint fluid replacement injections and possible even platelet therapy injections or stem cell procedures.

In brief: A few options
Dr. Qamar Khan
Dr. Qamar Khan
Dr. Bernard Bach Jr
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Many options.
Keep your weight down at an appropriate level.
Ice your hips for 20 minutes at a time. If you can take an anti-inflammatory medication, it should help.

In brief: Many options.
Dr. Bernard Bach Jr
Dr. Bernard Bach Jr
Dr. Joel McClurg
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Lots of things
Oa of the hip can sometimes be managed early with a combination of treatments.
Different things work for different people. Those treatments include reducing activities and avoiding activities that aggregate the hip, use of a cane in the opposite hand, otc or prescription anti inflammatories, and steroid or lubricant injections. A health weight is also very important in joint preservation.

In brief: Lots of things
Dr. Joel McClurg
Dr. Joel McClurg
Dr. Arnon Rubin