When does an orthopedic surgeon come to a conclusion that a partial knee replacement is the only option?

Up to you ! Replacements are done for severe pain associated with knee arthritis. Arthritis is like losing the tread on your car tire. Many treatments short of replacement include medications, therapy, injections and arthroscopy. When these don't work, the next, and only option, is replacement. Partial replacement is only for specific arthritic conditions, and not the most common option. Ask your surgeon!
You decide. The knee has three compartments. The medial or inside, the lateral or outside, and the knee cap or patellofemoral joint. Partial replacements can replace 1 or occasionally two of these. Whether we replace 1, 2 or all three parts depends on the x-rays, the patients complaints, and physical examination. Surgery is reserved for patients in which all conservative treat has failed.
Cartilage restore. In select cases cartilage resoration with or without an unloading osteotomy procedure may be an option. These options need to be carefully considered with your orthopedic surgeon. Once you have a partial knee replacement there is no going back.
Failure of previous. Orthopaedic surgeons will try to presevre cartilage if possible. Cartilage grafting may be an option if there is a localized well defined defect in the cartilage. Age is also a consideration as our ability to regenerate cartilage is unfortunately age dependent!
Partial Knee . Partial knee replacement is performed only if one of the three knee compartments are severely affected by osteoarthritis or traumatic arthritis it can be medial , lateral or patellofemoral compartment of the knee. It is considered in young age patients with minimal varus , valgus or fixed flexion deformity. Partial knee can be later converted to a total knee replacement.
Partial knee. If the patient has advanced wear of the joint only on one side of the joint, then a partial knee replacement is an option. If arthritis is on other sides of the joint as well, then total knee replacement is the better solution.
Usually after the- /workup, only certain patients R selected 4 these based on the surgeons familiarities with them. & the patient must fit the criteria 4 them.
After failing other . Only after failing conservative treatment with antiinflammatories, therapy, bracing and injections. Surgery should not be the first recommended treatment.
After full review. The answer to the question is an orthopaedic surgeon may come to a conclusion that a partial knee replacement is the only option after all other options have been discussed with, or tried on the patient, and both the doctor and the patient have decided together for a variety of reasons that this is the only option at that time in the patients life.
Partial arthritis. Replacements are performed after conservative options have failed including: meds, injections, therapy, and other surgeries such as arthroscopy. The knee is considered to have 3 compartments: front (patello-femoral), inside (medial) and outside (lateral). If there is severe arthritis in one compartment then a partial replacement or osteotomy for that compartment can be considered. Ask your doctor.